Thread: SoftStartRV
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2020, 12:40 PM   #16
McRod
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelff View Post
This is helpful, though I only plug in to the 50 amp line. I live in Texas and I have the two Dometic units you have. They struggle in 90-100 degree heat. I have been looking at the stand up portable units, 12k BTU to supplement the cooling, especially the initial cooling. I have a good place to put it and vent it out a side window. My plan was to run a 30 amp rated extension cord to the 120v outlet on the main breaker box in the park. I don’t think my plugs in the RV are strong enough and don't want to put more strain on the 50 amp line. Good thing about being portable is i can take it out during cooler months. What has been your experience with this kind of unit. I believe you said you have tested one? Thanks
Yes, I have an LG 12,000 BTU portable unit (like this one). I vent it out a slide side window which is like a traditional sliding window. If you have access to 50A service it will keep your main cabin area cool/comfortable in 90°-100° temps. As I noted above, it has a high surge on startup/cycling and did cause my 3000W inverter some issue when using it during extreme temps 105°-113° with no dedicated power source. An added benefit was that I purchased an "IHome" 110v outlet plug and was able to turn this unit on/off remotely with my phone. The unit is heavy (I'd guess 65ish lbs) but on wheels so it's manageable to remove it when not needed. It's quiet enough to carry on a conversation next to it. It has louvered vents that sweep back and forth to help distribute the air more effectively in a larger space. It will cool your main cabin faster than the factory 15k ducted unit. It takes floor space, which I don't like. It should be kept on it's own dedicated circuit which required me to juggle around some things that were plugged into the outlet it could reach.
McRod is offline   Reply With Quote