Thread: SoftStartRV
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2020, 11:26 AM   #15
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRod View Post

What I have learned is that the factory AC units are horribly inefficient.
IMO, ACs innovation is going to be one of the next big changes in the RV world. Manufacturers know how horribly inefficient the current Dometic/Coleman units are, and the solution for decades has been to move your RV to locations with cooler temps or to purchases aftermarket equipment to help temper the inefficiencies. Or invest in HUGE lithium battery banks ($$$$$). The current units coming out with pre installed softstarts are simply a low cost solution to kick the can down the road a few more years.

I think the best value solution is to replace the AC units with more efficient units and rethink their placement.

Great details from first hand experience, thanks!

A couple of thoughts:
-the Super Solar flex package does include new more efficient 15k AC units, not merely soft starts. Running draw is 9 amps typical with 11 amps full load. Apparently this was a key design element when the package was put together. Perhaps this is a start of RV AC unit improvements? Hopefully?

-as an alternative, have you considered this - https://www.costco.com/forestair-10%...100655013.html
Note; not something I'm familiar with and I'm not sure if it's efficient enough, but saw it recommended on another forum and wondering if anyone has experience with it here. Seems almost a hybrid between a window unit and mini split?

HtH,

Brad
kowbra is offline   Reply With Quote