View Single Post
Old 10-15-2019, 05:30 PM   #2
LoneStar
Established Member

M.O.C. #24911
if the play/musical “Texas” was going on, now, I’d def. tell you to take that in, but “Texas” runs, basically, while school is out..
I’d recommend the state park and surrounding area. The Palo Duro Canyon is, indeed, a beautiful place. There are walking/bike trails, and the hiking/walking is good. It’s a great time of year to be in the canyon, itself. There is a business adjacent to the state park that does zip lines, although I don’t don’t if it runs year-round. I also recommend the Pandandle-Plains Museum. It’s located in Canyon, TX, and it’s nice. There’s a honey farm between the museum and the State Park that my wife likes. They give a lil’ (free) tour there, I believe.

Personally, I’m not into the “Cadillac Ranch” or Big Texan Steakhouse, but they’re frequently mentioned in times like this..The former is, you guessed it, several Cadillacs buried half-way in the ground, nose-first in th middle of a cultivated field. People walk out to the cars, gaze at ‘em, and you can spray paint graffiti on them if you bring your own paint....the latter is, you guessed right again, a steakhouse that will feed you and you can look at some rattlesnakes in a glass box..you can even get a “free” 72 ounce steak if you can swallow it (AND keep it down) plus all the fixins’ in under an hour.

edit: in fairness to the Big Texan, I know folks from out of town enjoy it. It always seems to be crowded around there.
I hope you enjoy your trip! The weather has been wonderful, lately.