View Single Post
Old 07-24-2015, 01:42 AM   #24
curlida
Established Member

M.O.C. #17516
Hey all,
My wife and I are new to RVing also and to the club,we are hoping to make the fall rally but since we have our home in NC for sale we must find our new home first (further south) anyway I've read on a couple of these forums that some recommend buying the fifth first, no offense but I have to disagree. If you buy the fifth first then you are stuck finding a specific truck. Now I don't know how long a dealer will hold on to your new purchase but to me I would think you would then be rushed to find a tow vehicle? My wife and I took a year to do our home work and used every media source we could to make our purchase and fit our budget. With buying the truck first I was able to take my time on deciding a hitch and any other add ons. I hope I did not offend anyone with my opinion but to go out and by a big RV first, limits you on the type of tow vehicle. We ended up with a 2015 Silverado 3500 with B&W gooseneck hitch/20K companion hitch, airbags(I was told I did not need) pulling a 2016 Montana 3711FL. We have gone on three fairly long trips so far and we love it. The truck performed better than I ever imagined. I was also told I would need a slider hitch with my shortbed and I'm glad I didn't spend the extra money. I've got a good 4" of clearance at 90 deg. Safe travels all.
curlida is offline   Reply With Quote