View Single Post
Old 03-09-2010, 09:17 AM   #13
danandbetty
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10132
I know there are as many opinions as there are people but here's my experience and opinion. I've towed with 2WD, 4WD SRW, and now 4WD DRW. My current 4WD with DRW is superior to previous rigs in a number of ways including not getting stuck while towing. All were Dodges by the way. My theory is that DRW provides more tire surface on the ground and that helps to not sink into softer road surfaces so much. Kind of the way snow shoes work. I also now use hiway tread tires exclusively. I want the most rubber on the ground that I can for all driving conditions that I engage in. I gave up on aggressive treads (for my use) and found that my tires last longer, are quieter, and as long as I use good judgement about where I try to drive while towing my 5er I'm usually OK. I won't drive off hard road when it's wet and I won't drive on the beach or areas with soft loose sand - just my own rules. For me a 4WD and good judgement has solved my 'get stuck' history. Of course, it may be that the reason I don't get stuck anymore is not about 4WD or DRW at all. Perhaps I just learned better judement about where to not drive while towing my Montana.
danandbetty is offline   Reply With Quote