View Single Post
Old 03-08-2010, 12:41 AM   #7
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

First of all welcome to the best forum on the internet where you can find out virtually almost anything you may need to know about your Montana.
We’re here to help you if we can!

I doubt this is what you want to hear but A dually along with possibly a longer wheel base will contribute to less traction in the back of a truck. There is less weight per tire therefore causing it to spin a lot easier. The weight of the camper on your truck or mud tires IMHO, may help a little but probably won’t be enough in most situations. Once you start to spin it can easily escalate into a bigger problem. Even with weight on the rear wheels there may be times you need another wheel with good traction to do the pulling. I pulled into a place once instead of backing in like I should have, so I could face some friends. When I went to leave, due to the situation I placed myself in; I had to use the four wheel drive to keep from being stuck. If you are extremely careful and avoid any of those types of situations and try to choose parks that are mostly level and solid then you may get by. However, if you are in situations like you have described a lot then I would have to agree with all of the other posts on needing a four wheel drive.