View Single Post
Old 11-09-2019, 05:52 PM   #63
Gary-Alberta
Established Member

M.O.C. #21650
For some, the biggest, heaviest truck is the most suitable. if you want to boon dock and carry lots of batteries, generators, solar equipment, fuel, water, etc. there are many, many choices for you. If you are like me, and drag your hotel room (Monty) to another location and go about enjoying the sites and amenities of the location, your tow vehicle does double duty as a daily driver. I quite like having a TV that can park at any city parking meter or parkade as well as competently tow my rig. To my knowledge, I have the absolutely shortest TV that can tow my rig. Since GM didn't make it that way, I had to modify the spring pack to have a double cab, standard box, that can handle a 3000# pin load. The GCWR of my rolling combo is 24,500 lbs. , which is 3000 lbs. more the actual. I travel light. My rig crosses the scales under 14,000#. My TV fits in my garage for the summer. In a total season, I doubt that I spend more than 180 minutes backing my rig into stalls. I am quite comfortable concentrating for that time to ensure that the rig doesn't hit the window. My aluminum Andersen hitch seems to help me in that end, (it also only weighs 35#). I expect that the folks that tow with a HDT are very happy with their choice. Obviously, from the responses, the folks that tow with a one ton long box dually, are very happy with their choice. To each their own. Set your priorities and have many years of happy camping.
2018 Montana 3120RL
Gary-Alberta is offline   Reply With Quote