View Single Post
Old 01-19-2023, 07:44 AM   #8
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Lewy, I have been following and researching Starlink since before it launched. The StarLink router is capable of running in bridge mode with the addition of a $25 Ethernet adapter from Starlink. My situation is a little different than people in cities. We live on the side of a mountain. Our Centurylink DSL got upgraded from 1.33 mbps to 15 mbps two years ago. It is good enough to stream HD and handle our home automation (HVAC, home monitoring and entertainment) via hardwired Ethernet with an Eero 6 mesh system in bridge mode providing Wi-Fi to devices (iPads, Echo devices, smart plugs, computers). But not good enough for some of the advanced streaming. As we are in fire country (2012 High Park fire destroyed our neighborhood), having a backup internet source is also good. (First thing during a wildfire is cut power, DSL goes away.). I don’t want to remove Starlink from the Montana every time we want to use it at home. My thought was to install the router in the camper, Ethernet cable to a mesh system in the camper and put satellites in the house. I have read of slowdowns in speed with multiple mesh system. The crux of the matter is I would have two ISP’s (CenturyLink and StarLink) and two mesh systems. Just want to have decent service at home and on the road. The Mesh system is mainly to cover 4000 feet, built into the mountain with 3 floors.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote