View Single Post
Old 02-09-2020, 12:35 PM   #16
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggarView View Post
In practicality the discounts are not as described ...unless fill up at the inflated truck pumps. If you fill up at other locations that are typically lower than the typical truck pump prices along freeways, then the discounted price from the inflated base price compared to the normally lower price is the real comparison. I guessing the real discount is far less that the claims. using that criteria.

For example if I fill up at my local gas station for 2.59 for diesel but the Loves truck pump price is 2.99 but I can get a 40 cent discount then the compare is 2.59 vs 2.99-.36(40 cents minus 4 cents to TSD)=2.63 means my local pump is still cheaper by about 4 cents. but if I buy from Loves regularly then yeah its a good deal. Still gotta use the gray matter before buying fuel. ugh.
That would be a rare exception, we recently drove from So Cal to north of Seattle on I-5, especially while in California we watched gas prices close on two apps along I-5, were watched for the lowest priced Diesel, the app showed us not only truck stops but also non commercial fuel stations. While prices vary it varied in both directions sometimes non commercial was lower and sometimes commercial was lower, not once did we see if I recall more than 10-15 cents variable between fuel stops in any one region.

However when you are pulling 42' your fuel choices are limited unless you want to unhook.

I just did a city search on Gas Buddy out of 10 fuel stations the Pilot truck stop ($2.95 before discounts) was lower then the other 10 nearest non commercial fuel stations Most were in the $3.35 range.

While there may be some non commercial that are lower in other parts of the country, there is no metric that substantiates your math. Maybe the TSD will not save as much for some but I do know for me it is significant especially since i carry 80 gallons and fuel locally before every trip and since the Pilot near me is on average $0.30 below most non commercial stations the savings are huge.

Look if I find in my travels if I can buy Diesel cheaper at a non TSD station I will but having the TSD option is also good to have which I will likely use 90% of the time especially with Pilot being close to me.
lightsout is offline   Reply With Quote