Thread: NASCAR Camping
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2020, 07:18 AM   #9
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
We live in the heart of NASCAR country. Back in the day 60 years ago a race was as much of a moonshine swap meet as a race. There wasn’t any or little money in racing so you had to make a living some way. If you had peach moonshine and someone had blackberry you worked up a swap. My friend’s father dove liquor for Curtis Turner one of the best in his day. Curtis would buy pop for all the kids at the race.
Wendell Scott was one of the best of the bunch. All the drivers respected him and his driving skills. The other drivers would give him any car spare parts they had so he could race and had pit crew was has children. He couldn’t get a sponsor. He had a problem he was a black man or I should say gentleman.
THE RACE was the talk Monday morning at work. Now nobody here even mentions a race anymore and I wonder why. Is it because it’s changed so much? The cars at that time were stock cars. You could buy one. Now they are all the same, bodies built by the France family. Or is attendance and rating going down because people have just moved on and don’t care about cars or racing now. People used to haft to work on their cars. When is the last time you changed plugs or brakes or a water pump or did anything except change oils every 10,000 miles. You don’t need to work on them anymore so you don’t think about them and wash and wax them. Or maybe go to a race.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote