View Single Post
Old 06-06-2021, 01:17 PM   #23
MOODY
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24936
Certainly don't know your expertise so if I suggest something you are already doing then disregard.
10K is way-way to early - need to look at truck/trailer or driving habits.

I set up the brake controller by placing transmission in drive from complete stop, releasing the brakes and as the truck starts rolling (without any use of the accelerator) I apply the brakes through the controller set at 2 or 3. If the truck/trailer doesn't completely stop I stop, set the controller to a higher setting and retest. Goal is to have the brake controller at the lowest setting that the truck/trailer will stop completely using the controller only.
I have a Ford F350 with engine brake option and use it religiously.
I use the transmission manual downshift when coasting to stop with the engine brake controller on. I have had people following me that thought my brake lights were defective till the brakes were applied at approx 5 mph.
My goal is to come to a complete stop without any brake application each and every time - impossible but I need not apply brakes till 5-10 mph except for unexpected situations.
Mountain driving I am in a gear that that the engine brake controller is holding my speed going down the mountain - I don't have to ride the brakes to hold my speed.
I am pulling a 3701LK, 110 gallon additional fuel tank pulling a 12' trailer with my side-side behind the RV and still no braking required unless unexpected.
GOOD LUCK !

Kevin & Pat Moody
2020 Montana 3701LK, Legacy Package, Satellite, Solar, Generator, 2019 Ford F350 Dually, BD5F Trailer Saver, 12' Trailer with Kayak Rack, Polaris General XP 4 1000
MOODY is offline   Reply With Quote