View Single Post
Old 06-14-2020, 08:13 PM   #17
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRod View Post
When I did my kitchen remodel, I replaced the steps with standard oak treads and risers from home depot. As others have said, don't need heat or air exchanged through the steps. The furnace is already ducted to the basement water closet in my rig.
I don't know what rig you have so I don't understand the "furnace is already ducted to the basement water closet" statement.

As I understand it, the furnace needs an air supply to heat and pump in the RV. The expectation is that air supply comes through the holes in the stair risers. This is interior air, somewhat already heated and just being touched up.

Lacking the air supply through the stair risers, the next source of air comes from the outside through that 4" gap above the black and grey tanks. This is outside air which is not heated and maybe be dirty and dusty (depending where you are). It takes a lot more energy to heat outside air to room temp especially when it is really cold out.

Of course the lack of air filters in the heating system is yet another discussion.

(Yes I know these things are leaky and the air supply isn't all one way of the other, but the preponderance of air comes in the two ways above.)

Consequently many of us close off the stair vents during the summer so the A/C doesn't suck air from there. But come winter we open those stair vents back up for the heater to work best.

Carl n Susan is online now   Reply With Quote