View Single Post
Old 10-02-2006, 01:06 PM   #1
bruiser
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6319
New Montana Owners

Hello from Calgary, Alberta

Betty & I have just recently purchased our first 5th Wheel - a 3500RL. We've spent the last 13 years camping with a 23' trailer and it was finally time to "move up". In June, we started looking for a new 27-30' trailer. We had no intention of buying a fifth wheel unit at this time. On our first visit to an RV dealer to look at trailers, I ventured into the 3500RL sitting in the showroom. Wow, was I impressed! Betty's reaction - "Lets not waste time looking at something we're not even remotely interested in".

After 2 months of fruitless search - we couldn't find any trailer that worked for us - we started looking at fifth wheel units. Of course we started out looking at smaller units. Again, nothing that we liked. So we started looking at the larger units. In September, I remembered the Montana that I had seen on our very first shopping trip. We went to the dealership (which was about an hour from home) and looked at the Montanas he had in stock. In less than an hour, the deal was done.

Now, all that was left was to buy a truck to pull this huge rig. No problem - picked up a 2006 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax.

We've been out twice now on short weekend trips to get accustomed to this new experience of camping in a luxury RV. The experience was everything and more than we expected. We are absolutely in love with this unit.

Having read many of the Forum submissions, I have just a couple of questions before taking the unit back to the dealer for what, I hope, are minor problems.

1. On both trips, we found that the entrance door did not open and close with ease - the unit was perfecly level. Is this a minor adjustment or is it an indication of something more serious?

2. On our second trip, I noticed some bubbling in the siding approximately 2' to the right of the entance door. Is this easily fixed or is it a major repair? Will it get worse?

3. The stove was not installed level with the counter top. It drops about 1/4" from left to right. If it doesn't affect performance, I'm not too worried about this.

Anyway, we're looking forward to spending a lot of enjoyable time in our Montana and look forward to meeting others in the Montana "family". Congrats on a great site.
bruiser is offline   Reply With Quote