View Single Post
Old 10-31-2006, 03:58 AM   #16
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
We have been dealing with some of these issues the past couple of years. My mother is now in a care facility with Alzheimer's. Thankfully after my father died my mother put my name on her checks. When she started bouncing checks left and right and lost the ability to understand money, I took over. She had used up all her money and we did not know it. My mother seemed to be in control of her life when in reality she was just treading water. With elderly parents it is better to have things in writing while they can still do that. With my mother she was already beyond reasoning when we all woke up to what was going on. We would have had to go to court but she had no money or anything to be concerned about, and I pay the bills for her facility and medication.

In Oregon we have Senior Services. My mother already had a caseworker. They had set her up to pay part of her rent through the state. When I called them they helped me get her into assisted living, but unfortunately she was not able to stay there. Her caseworker made sure she was lined up for all the services she needs. I would not have known on my own what to do. There is another group, which I believe is called ElderCare and is nationwide. You pay for their services, but they help you get what is available to help you. Ask around and see what agencies in your area provide services for seniors. They can help you with most aspects of making sure your elderly parents are protected.
toolmanroy is offline   Reply With Quote