View Single Post
Old 03-31-2006, 08:02 AM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Trukdoc, I know exactly your feeling. That integrated controller is absolutely the smoothest and best performing brake controller I have ever used and I have used quite a number of them over the years. Stops are not only straight and smooth, there no longer is the clunk of the pin slamming in the hitch on sudden brake application. It's uncanny. I'm glad to hear you avoided an accident. Coming up on someone doing 10 mph on the highway is always a dicey situation, even in clear weather and not towing.

Darryl, you are correct. We have not yet ventured into New England. Our intent WAS to spend August through October in New England, then get to the kids' area in Kansas City by the first of November (a granddaughter's birthday in early November). However, just before we left KC for the Rio Grande Valley in early January we got word we will have a new granddaughter, due in August. So, rather than reduce our NE time we're postponing it until next year.

A 1-ton is always a good choice but the 2005 and 2006 Ford 3/4 tons have higher ratings than prior years' 1 tons, so the 3/4 ton Fords are a very good choice. Our 4x4 sits high but the F250 does not sit quite as high as the F350. In my book, both the F250 and F350 are good choices. With the F250 if you have one of the Montanas with a heavier pinweight you may need airbags to avoid a small amount of sag in the rear. Unless you have the Camper Package in addition to the Tow Package. Yesterday our 2005 F250 turned 50,000 miles. 17 months and a week old.

Since you asked what we tow our Montanas with and I mentioned our F250 having higher numbers than prior years' F350's, I should give you numbers. Equipment will make a difference on these numbers...

2005 Ford F250 3/4-ton, 6.0L diesel, TorqShift 5spd Automatic, 3.73 rear gears. Being a 3/4 ton it is single rear wheel.

These are all CAT scale numbers. I have the receipts if anyone cares to come over to see them.

GVWR - 10,000
GCWR - 23,000
Tow - 15,400

Montana - 2003 3295RK very heavily loaded incl 2/3 fresh water, other tanks empty:

pinweight - 3,300
axles - 11,060
total - 14,360

The Ford tows this rig with aplomb up and down all mountains.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote