Thread: New Member
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2019, 09:38 PM   #20
edb

M.O.C. #23232
We full time RV'ed for 7 years and I will tell you from experience that you will have problems in a lot of state and national parks with a 5th wheel that big. Most people who travel in the larger RVs use privately owned campgrounds. We traveled first in a 36 foot Carriage Compass and then a 36 foot Montana which we still own and there were many times that I wished we had bought something smaller because some of the places I wanted to go we could not fit in the camp spots and there were even some places we couldn't even drive through because the trees prevented us from making the turns. Most state and federal parks don't have the money to update their campground to accommodate the big rigs. The real drawback is that the state and national parks are always less expensive then the private campgrounds. I'm not saying we didn't fit in a lot of them and it was mostly the state ones that you will have a problem with. Keep in mind we were only 36 feet plus the length of our tow vehicle and you will be driving 40 feet with a tow vehicle. I would tell you not to go with anything bigger then 36 feet. The really long ones I think are for people who are not full timers and know where they are going and what to expect. When your a full timer you never know what to expect and I guaranty you that there will be times you will get yourself in a situation no matter how careful you are that you will have to turn that 40 foot trailer around in a very small space and it won't be easy. I was a real full timer with no home to go home to so if you have any questions feel free to email me. I think you should tow with whatever works for you as long as it is rated to tow how heavy your trailer is. I personally would never tow with a short bed but have seen lots of people do it. Good luck and good idea to plan ahead for that retirement plan.
edb is offline   Reply With Quote