View Single Post
Old 06-16-2021, 11:24 AM   #343
Jimbo1201

M.O.C. #28060
Remote Thermostat

So I finally tackled the changeover from that ridiculous remote thermostat to the 5 button CCC. The couple that I bought my 2006 3295RK in from early 2021 had replaced the A/C in 2019 and were still having problems in 2020 so they contacted Dometic and were told that he would have to change out the control unit and thermostat. They recommended the 5 button CCC. The part numbers are 3109226.005 for the control unit and then 3109228.001 for the thermostat/wall unit. The prior owner had ordered the parts but did not install them. Luckily he did not return the parts and I bought them off of him.

I keep my rig parked in an RV resort here in Lutz, FL and use it as a weekend/getaway place and needless to say, mid June is quite warm so I obviously must be crazy to tempt this now. Let me say I am not an RV tech but I am confident in minor home repair. With that said, anyone thinking about doing this project needs to go to Mazeef's description of his installation. It is located on page 4 post #64. I followed that step by step. I did miss the one part about the dip switches but I'll explain later. Unfortunately the pictures from that post are no longer visible but his description was enough for me to see what he was doing.

The entire install took me about an 1 hour and 30 minutes. As of right now the A/C is working. Now for the explaination.

I missed the step to check that dip switch #5 was to be on. After I had made all of the connections and buttoned up the filter, I replaced the 12 volt fuse and threw the 120 volt circuit breaker. Just as Mazeef said the CCC read EE and I followed his instruction and rebooted the thermostat. I went through the modes and it showed Cool, Fan and Off. There was no display for Furnace. It was then that I recalled the step about the dip switches. I again killed the 12 volt and 120 volt power, removed the cover and found the switches. It looked like all 8 were in the same position and assuming they were off, I flipped #5. Reactivate the 12 and 120 volt, no furnace. Deactivate 12 and 120. After I looked at the control unit manual and oriented myself, I realized that the switches were all on and I had turned off #5. I then turn them all off except for #5. Reactivate the 12 and 120 volt and now the thermostat shows EE but the A/C isn't working. I try to reboot but when I release the Mode and Zone buttons the EE reappears. Deactivate again and put the swirches all back into the on position, reactivate and the A/c comes on. The thermostat is in EE again but the reboot works. I go through the modes and still no furnace. Remember I said that I am in Lutz, Florida? Well the outside temperature at 11:30 A.M. is at 88. It was 82 outside when I started at 10:00 A.M. and the inside temp was at 75. At 11:30 the inside temp was climbing to 85. Luckily the A/C is still working but the CCC wont show the furnace. I let it run for about an hour and at 12:20 the inside temp is at 79. Still a little warm but hey we're in the sub tropics, right. So I called Dometic and after waiting 5 and a half minutes, finally got through to that danged automated customer service crap. When I got to the part that I believed was where I needed to be the message was that they were closed for their hour lunch from 12:30-1:30 EDT. So I will call again later but in the mean time I may make sure that the furnace wires are attached to the blue wires before I speak with Dometic. I hope to have good news and be able to post it.

Don't fear this project as long as you have a basic understanding of home wiring and mechanical abilities.
Jimbo1201 is offline   Reply With Quote