View Single Post
Old 01-10-2005, 02:25 AM   #10
snowbunny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #409
I agree Steve. StreetAtlas is great with the voice help. I can put aside the laptop and just wait for instructions in voice. Just yesterday my wife and I were testing that feature and deliberately went off route in an area we knew well. StreetAtlas immediately warned us and within 30 seconds had recalculated directions on how to get back on course. Most of the time the new directions were the best way although a couple of times where a u-turn would fix the problem SA recommended a five mile detour. For route planning it sucks. I still can't find an easy way to put waypoints in that are not part of the existing database (like my address - which by the way, shows up in Streets and Trips.)

Streets and Trips on the other hand I can lay out a route with stops and all kinds of bells and whistles in a couple of minutes and if I don't like the route chosen I can drag parts of it to where I want it!
For me, if Microsoft simply added voice prompts it would be enough although I do like the visual turns indicators too.

I finally got both working with the Delorme Earthmate GPS on a regular basis!

FWIW, I bought Street Finder yesterday to try and it combines the worst of both so I guess Microsoft can't fill that niche in a future release.
snowbunny is offline   Reply With Quote