View Single Post
Old 02-18-2010, 11:40 AM   #15
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
I'm new to the whole diesel engine thing and have been trying to learn as much as possible from lots of forums. Programming keeps popping up as a topic and I guess I don't get it.

Unless you are deliberately trying to push your drive train towards something it wasn't intended to do, like drag racing or pulling a tandem trailer rig full of cement, I don't see why you would want to risk modifications that would void a warranty or even just take a truck outside of its design limits.

Don't get me wrong, I know there are people that are knowledgeable about the engines and the risk they are taking. I even appreciate that some folks do this almost like hobbyists for the joy of working and pushing the envelope on mechanical things. What I don't get is why an average guy with an RV lifestyle would stand to gain from this stuff.

It seems that the risk to reward ratio is a little off if you're truck is just being used to pull your home. What am I missing? Why would an average guy want to put his knowledge and skill up against the professionals that develop these things for a living?
pbahlin is offline   Reply With Quote