Thread: Broken Spring
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2022, 02:58 PM   #12
VagabondLove
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #27665
Before I upgraded to the MorRyde I/S, I used to keep 4-6 extra leaf springs and U bolt kits in the truck. At least once a year, I would bust through a spring or two, even though we were at or below max weight rating. With the parts on hand, I was ready to get back on the road in 30 minutes! I even upgraded to the seven-leaf springs (from the six-leaves that were original equipment). It is not difficult to change out the U bolt and insert a new leaf spring. I even had the fun task of doing it at a service plaza once!

After every trip, I looked at each leaf spring to see if there were any leaves shifting, and most importantly if all of the leaf bolts were still in place. The attached photo points at the bolts on top and bottom of the leaf springs. These bolts were the usual failure point for me. When the bolt breaks, you can still travel a little further if needed, but at some point comes the catastrophic failure when that wheel disconnects from the RV body.

When I finally installed the MorRyde I/S, I also upgraded to 8K axles and beefier wheels, to get the added margin to our overall weight. It was well worth the price for the peace of mind that came with getting rid of those leaf springs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MontanaSpring.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	330.5 KB
ID:	11865  
FlexArmor roof 2021, Starlink
VagabondLove is offline   Reply With Quote