View Single Post
Old 10-18-2008, 07:40 PM   #3
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Mopar1 -- I'm not affiliated with the following - just happen to know of this because the person who traded it is a friend -- in any case, Ed Schram's Dodge, Manhattan KS just got a White Dodge dually in on trade -- this is a 2nd generation truck I believe -- High output motor but has the mechanical injector pump, 130K miles, auto trans. Has gooseneck ball in bed and heave chrome metalplate running boards, white (smooth) metal toolbox in bed. Had lately developed a few leaks (fuel pump (CP3 pump) which I'm sure the dealer will replace). Also has one of the dually fenders cracked (fiberglass). In any case, they gave next to nothing for it on trade in on a new diesel and would probably meet your needs if you don't mind coming out to get it. Engine was strong, uses no oil (and doesn't make any either!!); older engine so the oil doesn't get so black as the new ones.

Now all that said - given your statement that you won't be putting but a few thousand a year, the gasser will probably meet your needs. Diesels will pull all day long and are designed to be worked. However, you do pay a premium for them and, in most cases, will never run then long enough to offset the higher initial cost if buying new. However, there are some great buys in the used market and I don't know of anyone who pulls with a diesel who would like to go back to gas.

Now another - that said -- because this diesel is an older one - it doesn't have all the latest smog / pollution stuff on it; not as powerful as the newer 3rd Generation Dodges, but gets better fuel economy than they do.

Once again, I have no affiliation with the company other than being a customer of theirs myself. There are better trucks out there than that one you mentioned - keep looking.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote