Thread: GPS on a Laptop
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2006, 05:54 PM   #23
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
The laptop setup works very well for us. I have both DeLorme's Street Atlas and Microsoft's Streets and Trips and both GPS units. I previously used SA because it had voice and S&T did not. I'm currently using 2006 S&T with voice. I agree the voice is too low.

By the way, in addition to pushing the space bar once to repeat the next instruction, you can press the spacebar twice quickly and it will give you the 2nd next instruction. That can be handy when the 2nd turn shortly follows the first one. SA actually shows you both the next turn and the 2nd next turn right on the screen. S&T has plenty of screen real estate to do the same thing. I wish they would. Each package has things I like and things I don't. If only there were a way to combine the best of both...

I have both the Microsoft GPS and the DeLorme GPS, both the USB version that requires no separate power. I've found both to be excellent at maintaining satellite connections in all kinds of places I thought sure they'd lose it. I'm very pleased with them. I also have a NavMan GPS that I could not get to work very well. I haven't used any other brands, just those three.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote