View Single Post
Old 03-09-2005, 03:22 PM   #8
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
We have the 3295RKBig Sky and sort of fell in love with the 3400 or, alternatively, the Cambridge. So far, we are holding off a decision due to some health issues. However, I know we were overloaded on the present unit. Never weighed it cause some things you just don't want to know (right Foggyb). Now, I wish I had so I would know if I have a problem moving to the 3400. My guess is the (first) limiting factor is the axles. My Big Sky has 6000 pound axles for 12000 ponds total leaving 2400 for the pin weight budget.. So, if you load a little more forward, the truck gets the overload on the pin. Same with the Cambridge. They spec 7000 pounds axles for a total of 14,000 pounds. Gross is 16,900 so the Pin load has to be 2,900 pounds. Again if you overload, do it to the front of the coach to keep the excess off the coach axles.

As to the 3400, I would avoid carrying a lot of fluids(black, fresh, grey, and galley), not worry too much about weight in the cargo bay as it rests (largely) on the pin, load dense stuff like books forward (in the bedroom) AND THEN weigh it and see if you have any thing to worry about.. I am comfortable with the allowance i the 3295 Big Sky. Think I would do some sort of broad brush calculations for the 3400.
For what it is worth from an old aerospace engineer.
Dave
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote