View Single Post
Old 05-19-2010, 02:39 PM   #8
ALAN
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4279
When we ordered our 2010 3400RL, I talked with Charles Wade about doing what you suggest. He advised against this. He said in older units that was tried and a trailer in CA caught fire due to a short in the system. Keystone had to settle with the state of CA with a change in their system to ensure that this could not be done in the future. In addition to the comments about exhaust, the wiring is not set up to accept external power execpt from a generator designed for this purpose. He told me I would have to run a power cord from the front compartment under the trailer to the rear plug to make it work. I would still have to solve the exhaust issue. The inside controls could not be used to start or stop the generator. Easier to come up with a system as discussed in this forum to padlock your generator and keep it external. A number of people have done as suggested above and attached to their tow vehicle with a long power cord. Downside is if you want to drive the tow vehicle while running the gen.

Good luck. You may want to run a search on this subject to see what others have done.

Alan & Kathy
ALAN is offline   Reply With Quote