Thread: Tire Balance
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2008, 08:20 AM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
If you decide to have the tires balanced, be SURE they use the lug-centric adapter. If they use a normal car tire method, meaning they tighten down on the center hole, assuming that centers the rim, you'll never get a good balance. In fact, they may tell you the tire and the rim are both so badly out of round they cannot be balanced (had that happen on our 2001 Montana). Or they'll put on loads of weights to "balance" the tire but are actually making the balance worse.

Trailer rims do NOT center on the hub using the rim's center hole. Thus, those holes are rarely exactly centered as they are on car / truck rims. To get a good balance job, they MUST use the lug-centric adapter, which centers the rim using the lug holes. I had two of ours balanced in New Mexico at an Expert Tire store. They knew exactly what I meant by lug-centric adapter. I had the other three balanced at a small tire store in Independence, MO. They had no idea what I meant but went looking and found they have an adapter. The guy told me they'd never used it and didn't know why it was needed. We have a good balance now on all five tires.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote