Thread: Tire Balance
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2008, 12:57 PM   #5
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
My Mission's had problems as did a lot of them that no amount of balancing could have corrected. BUT you are 100% correct that a lot of tire problems are caused by no balancing or incorrect balancing.
Many people do not realized the punishment a tire takes traveling down the hiway with all things such as balance, inflation, shocks, bearings, etc being absolutely right on the money. Now have just one of those items bad or worn out and that creates a whole different set of parameters making the situation dangerous if not deadly when one of those tires fail.
On our trailers even the pressure monitors only help with one small aspect of the overall picture and that is a slow leaking tire. It does not warn you of an impending blow out. It does not warn you of vibration caused by a bad bearing or a lost wheel weight. It only warns you of a slow leaking tire. Oh sure it will tell you that you had a blow out but it won't stop you from loosing control due the the sudden loss of all the air. It won't stop the tire from shredding and tearing the trailer apart before you are able to make a controlled safe stop.
I know I am going to get some flack back from the folks that spent money on the pressure monitors but if you first sit down and seriously consider what I am saying you may reconsider the flack attack.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote