Thread: Internet
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2020, 10:23 AM   #20
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route66Rambler View Post
Phones are ok to use as a mobile hot spot but will not give you a reliable and constant connection because of everything running in the background. ...
Hummm... I'm not for sure that I agree with this. I don't know if this is a hold over from the original days of hotspotting phones, when it was a little more dicey, and you had to actually have programs that you installed on top of the phone to make it work. With today's "modern" phones, this is a feature that's built into the phone, and it's easy to turn on and off. We don't have "great" cell signal on our phones at our house, and recently when we lost our REAL hotspot which was supplying internet to our house, I used my phone as our hotspot to watch TV on, until I ran out of data (which didn't take very long). I didn't have any issues watching TV, or using my phone at the same time. I have a Pixel 3. I would expect other modern phones to provide the same experience, but can't swear to that.

We have used previous phones (Pixel 1's) as hotspots with no issues either.

I think a hotspot is a better choice, IF you're going to be pulling down copious amounts of data, like in the 100's of Gigs of data range. Otherwise, a modern (current) phone will do just fine. The phone isn't the limiting factor, the PLAN is the limiting factor. That's my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route66Rambler View Post
... The Mobile Internet Resource Center is the best place to research devices and plans. They also have a new course to guide you to find the best options for you.

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/
There is a LOT of good information on this website for sure, and I've been there, and used some of their information, but good gracious, it doesn't take 44 lessons to figure out mobile internet, or that much time to figure it out either!! Let alone $129 worth. I openly admit that I'm a cheapskate, and I have a hard time paying $129 for anything that I can figure out on my own, or with help from others. Again, my opinion, and others may have a different opinion...