View Single Post
Old 05-08-2023, 08:21 AM   #26
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majorpolk View Post
I would love to hear more on how this is working for you and see some pictures.
Appreciate your help.

First, just to address the question regarding waterproofing at the pin box. I used Gorilla tape to seal around the vinyl and pin box. Use alcohol to clean the surface first for best adhesion results.

Well, last March 2022 we were once again on Ocracoke Island OBX NC. I did not bring the generator because this was the only place we're were going that year that we wouldn't be on shore power. We spent 10 days there. It was a cold spring. We started with 1 & 1/2 tanks of propane. We ran out the last 3 days. There is no refill stations on the island. We had to buy a 20lb BBQ tank to get us by the last 3 days. The solar system worked perfectly.
FYI regarding the suggestions for putting the panels in series versus parallel. I experimented with both connections. I found putting them in series (higher voltage) got better results for me. Last month (2023) I added two more 200W panels (800w total) in parallel to the existing 200W panels. So now I have 2S2P configuration. I do need to upgrade the MPPT. I'll probably go 150/75 for future expansion. I tweaked the MPPT absorption and float settings to optimize output, however the last three days we were there it was cloudy and rained. No solar.
I connected the DC-DC charger, started the truck and ran it twice a day for an hour to charge the batteries. It was cold enough outside not to worry about the alternator overheating so I didn't have to put a fan blowing on it. I did open the hood for extra air circulation.
BTW, when the truck is NOT hitched you need to run a battery jumper cable from the trailer frame to the truck frame for the Renogy DC-DC charger to turn on. I'm guessing they need to be on the same ground plane to operate (circuit loop).
Something else I have also found out since I wrote this, for the 2016 F350 super duty with dual 200a alternators, only ONE alternator actually works until it reaches 80% before the other one starts picking up the load. Yours may be different.
This year we are heading west. We had to cut the first month off our trip (NM, UT Moab). We are still planning on Tetons, Yellowstone, Glacier then on up into Canada to Banff and Jasper. We will be there for about two months (NO hook ups, dry camping the entire time). This time we brought two Harbor Freight 2000W generators and a 30A parallel kit. In most Canadian Provincial and NP they have VERY limited generator hours, so the solar and DC-DC charger will be a good backup.

First picture, wiring from pin box.
Second picture, battery compartment wall. The DC-DC charger is not in the picture. It's on the wall to the left of the inverter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DC-DC charger wiring.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	190.1 KB
ID:	14534   Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery compartment circuit breakers.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	164.7 KB
ID:	14535  
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote