Thread: Stroke update
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2008, 04:01 PM   #6
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
The last Flange Head that tried to start one on Betsy used a butterfly and a baby needle and really just kept sticking it under the skin. She moved it all around and finally when she had Betsy bawling her eyes out she gave up. I wasn't happy but that was the end of it for the IV this stay in the hospital. I, along with lots of other people object to having an IV started in the back of the hand. It is painful and there a lots of nerve bundles there. I would rather have it anywhere on either of my forearms. I have lots of firehose veins and they are easy to hit even with a 14 gauge needle. Betsy is a very hard stick but when we were taking the EMT/IV tech training I got my first start on her hand. It was a kind of status symbol to get a hand start, but much easier to do the inside of the elbow or on the forearm. I don't like IVs but they are required in most ER cases. The hospitals really need to train their Vampires better... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote