View Single Post
Old 11-25-2020, 08:15 AM   #16
ForBruce
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26644
Quote:
Originally Posted by LERD View Post
From the responses I'm seeing, it tells me that the truck I'm considering is a perfect fit for my needs. I know many have stated that I might be disappointed if I go with a gasoline motor. Just a quick backstory, I currently tow an older 28ft Copper Canyon 5er with an ecoboost. Trust me when I tell you that the motor is NOT my weak spot. When I bought my truck, I didn't have the camper yet. It was towing my boat. I was looking at TTs, and the wife was watching our current rig without telling me until it dropped down in price where she was happy. I was a little educated from these type of forums so I knew my payload was close. But because I didn't know the only hitch that worked in my truck was a pull rite, I ended up with a surprise of 350lbs. So I am 500lbs over. Set of Timbrens, powerstop brakes and E rated tires have fixed the problem for now. But that is why I am more concerned about being proper on my pin weight than anything else. Especially since I am looking at a traveling weight near 14-15k. I know my ecoboost would pull that no problem. So I'm fairly certain that the new Ford 7.3l with the 4:30 rear end would too! As good as a diesel, no, but I won't need 1000ft lbs to do the job I would be asking of it. Plus I'm already getting 7-9 mpg loaded, no surprise there. I'm still weighing that option out. Thank for everyone's help.
please break down into paragraphs to make reading easier.

with my f-250 diesel and trailer fully loaded (about 14-15,000 lbs) i get 11.5-12.5 miles per gallon.
the diesel has a 10 speed so going up the steepest is no problem

one factor you have totally overlooked is the "DIESEL BRAKE"

you don't want to have to ride your truck /trailer brakes going down hills as you do with a gasoline engine.

the diesel brakes have 2 formats

1---diesel brake --will slow down using engine when you step once on the brakes

2--automatic diesel brake...... works with cruse control. Without touching the gas or brake pedal the curse control will keep your set speed and if you begin a downward slope ( even the slightest) the auto diesel brake will keep your speed constant applying just enough engine braking to do this....

This my friend is a big plus....so there
ForBruce is offline   Reply With Quote