View Single Post
Old 01-18-2021, 08:21 AM   #30
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAWilsonPE View Post
Ok let’s take a look on the back of the InCommand cover. See the first picture below. Each light group has 4 wiring positions. #1-Switch input (not used), #2-12v 15amp input from fuse panel, #3-GND (two wires connected, one from the fuse box and one to the light, #4-12v output to the lights. See my first sketch below.

The dimmer works using pulse width modulation (PWM) which means it actually turns the power on and off very rapidly. The higher the percent on time vs off determines the brightness. What this means is that you have to feed both + & - to the light directly from the dimmer. It is not like a switch where you can break into the + only and have common grounds.

Remove the wires from the GND and 12v output. Determine which of the two grounds goes to the light by following the 12v output back until you find where the two are joined. Follow the GND to the light back to the connector and cut that one off the connector. Reconnect the one GND back to the panel.

Pull two double wires from the dimmer to the control panel. Connect the dimmer input to the GND and 12v output on the panel. Connect the dimmer output to the feed line to the light. See my second sketch. I used blue wire just to be different.

The last picture shows the final wiring at the panel. My InCommand system was installed upside down for some reason (the logo on the cover is upside down). No idea why but as you look at this photo the wiring positions go up as you go up the strip (backwards from the sticker). So you will see two sets of new wires. The new blue 12v output goes to the dimmer + input. The new blue/black wire is added to the GND position and goes to the dimmer - input and the bottom 12v input is unchanged.

I hope this is clear and helpful.

Best, Mike
That is awesome info, thanks Mike!

Brad