Thread: Ford 6.4 Video
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2007, 03:43 AM   #3
tcorbitt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5799
Hi Rich,

I am curious why you are considering a move from the V10 to Diesel? I have never owned a gas TV (nor daily driver (we own 2 E300TD's)) as our personal preference ranks longevity and economy as a priority. We typically run 250-300K on our cars; 200K on the TVs. With the introduction of V10s the performance #s look very impressive compared to the Diesels. When upgrading the TV last year, we considered our first gasser, but in the end, decided we are just too set in our ways and the price difference, although Diesel a $5K premium, was not a deal breaker. In the past, it was a no-brainer, as the fuel cost would always drive the overall cost of ownership down after the first 80-100K miles.

With the 08, the engine premium takes another big leap. Fuel prices remain 30-40 cents above gas. (I am very happy our TV is only 1 year old and an upgrade desision is 6-7 years away.... But just thinking, if I had to replace it now, does the V10 offer a better value for Towing???

If you don't mind sharing, what is it about the V10 that you don't like?

On a side subject, why is it the US Auto Groups charge such a premium for Diesel. The European Makes tyrpically charge a 500 premium. In fact, 10 years ogo when we purchased our 95 MB E300, it was $500 less than the gas engine... Is is simply a huge supply/demand thing or do they really cost that much more to make?

Just wondering... Tim
tcorbitt is offline   Reply With Quote