Thread: TOWING CAPACITY
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2008, 11:58 AM   #41
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by KathyandDave

In Ontario, the weight of the combination is carried on the permit of the TV and the rules for commercial vehicles pertain if the combination is used for business purposes (e.g., a landscaping company towing a trailer of equipment). Since the trailer is not used for business purposes, the weight of the Monty is not considered, which substantially reduces the permit fee and the headaches that come with a commercial permit.
I wish that were true! As I read the Ontario regulations, there is no exemption from the RGW for non-commercial use. This what is on the MTO web site:

Determining Registered Gross Weights for Trucks Towing Recreational and Light Duty Trailers

The registered gross weight (RGW) determines the fee paid for truck licence plates. The truck's RGW is based on, and must be at least equal to the actual weight of the truck, or truck and trailer(s) and load(s). A trailer permit does not have a RGW. Generally the weight of a towed trailer(s) and its load are added to the RGW of the truck. Load includes the driver, passengers, fuel, equipment, tools, cargo, equipment, etc. carried in the truck and trailer.

The RGW is indicated on the right portion (plate portion) of a truck's ownership, to the right of "REG. GROSS WT" and is in kilograms (kg). One kilogram equals 2.204 pounds and one pound equals .4536 (kg).

"Truck" includes pickups and business type vans with truck licence plates. Farm plated trucks are subject to the same RGW rules.

The "Vehicle Permits Regulation", made under the Highway Traffic Act, provides an exemption for light trailers, specifically;

"where a trailer transmits to the highway a total weight of 2,800 kilograms (6,173 lb.) or less, that weight shall not be included in determining registered gross weight".

If you know where there is a RGW exemption for non-commercial use, I would love to know about it. There are exemptions from a number of other regs that apply to commercial vehicles, but I don't know of anything that gets you out of paying the full rate for the RGW of you truck and trailer combinationl
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote