View Single Post
Old 10-17-2007, 08:53 AM   #5
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
The current Mission Tires should be inflated to 80 PSI. Your stock aluminum rims on the Montana are rated at 3,042 pounds. The steel spare is rated at 3,750 pounds.

Your choices for going to a G rated tire and increasing the PSI are few, but I got some from Les Schwab Tires. I inflated them to 90 PSI to increase the weight capacity of the tire. I don't run them at 110 PSI because it's a waste, in my opinion, because my axles are only rated at 6,000 pounds. I went with the G rated tires mainly for the belief that I would lessen my chances of a blow-out. Other, more knowledgeable members like Lonnie and Glenn can comment.

If you choose to increase the PSI in your tires, and you buy new tires that can handle the increase in PSI, you have a few choices. If you want white steel rims, they can be used up to 110 PSI for a weight rating of 3,750 pounds. If you want Aluminum wheels, I would go with the ALCOA rims. They are pricey, but I feel much more confident with them than the stock rims from Tredit that have, in the past, had issues with cracks. Also, I couldn't get steel valve stems on the stock rims, but can on the ALCOAs.

I derived this formula for PSI and would really like someone who is knowledgeable to let me know if it is accurate:

Weight on axles. Let's say it is 12,000 pounds. Number of wheels: 4. Each tire is rated at 3,750 pounds at maximum inflation of 110 PSI. The formula, then, is: Weight (12,0000) divided by Number of Wheels (4) divided by 3,750 times 110 PSI which equals 88 PSI. I run mine at 90 PSI.

Hope this all makes sense.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote