View Single Post
Old 02-03-2008, 11:47 AM   #41
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Indy..we have both a BP bulk station and a Marathon Bulk (Ashland oil) very near our home base. We use Marathon in our school busses (Speedway) and it was tested for cetane and lubricity and was within limits.. The BP bulk farm is just a few miles from our driveway and we stopped by one day asked a thousand questions and got the grand tour. Bp Diesel, at least in our area is within limits. The bus company that I drove for before bought Diesel by the tanker and ordered the mix they wanted which was the most " cost effective". Our fuel logs using Speedway diesel , the good stuff, indicated a 2MPG loss when we went to the ULSD. The school I drive for now does not use a additive..we do use anti gell although we plug in the diesel when the temp reaches 20 degrees F.

What that report and others indicated to me along with some homework on Cetane rating, Lubricity and the new Diesel motors was that we can not be sure that the fuel we are using as we travel across the country meet the standards.. One jobber may do the right thing and another may choose the "cost effective " way. My guess is that your company is ordering fuel to their spec's and it meets spec's and they can do that because they use Zillions of Gallons per year. I have no problem using BP and Marathon in my home base because I know it meets specs but there is uncertainty on the road..so we use a additive.. I guess there should be some sort of enforcement for diesel fuel as to its content.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote