View Single Post
Old 07-02-2006, 04:22 AM   #13
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
The Cummins 5.9 and the Navistar ( International ) 7.3 are both good solid engines and I have owned both a 95 and 00 7.3 and had good service with both of them and got the same mileage as Stiles does. My brother had a 98 Cummins and now an 05 Cummins, had good luck with both of them.
In 04 I bought a new Ford with the new 6.0 Navistar engine. This engine was a dissapointment to me from day one with poor fuel economy and left me stranded on the side of the road three times.
Ford took it back and allowed me to order my 05 V10 for only 3200 dollars. The best 3200 dollars I have spent in my 55 years on the planet for sure.
The 6.0s short life is almost over as a new 6.4 is coming out soon and I hope it is a winner for Ford.
The Cummins has been around for a long time and is a proven engine. The newer ones have more valves and different fueling but the block is the same.
Ford claims they went away from the 7.3 to meet emmission standards. What a pity as that engine built Ford's reputation as a reliable pickup.
The Cummins still has a great reputation and you can even get it in a Ford F650. I wish you could get it in an F350. Take care and good luck shopping for a truck.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote