View Single Post
Old 08-24-2006, 03:32 PM   #1
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Tire Defect & Dealer Support

There are lots of dealer horror stories around, but I just had another pleasant experience with mine (Folsom Lake RV in Sacramento) and I feel it should be shared.

I have been dealing with a slow leak in one of my Tacoma shod aluminum wheels. I had taken it to a nearby tire dealer a couple of times. The first time, they said the valve stem (it was a high pressure one) was leaking and they changed it. I didn't get the trailer out again for many weeks and when I did, I discovered it was still leaking. Admittedly, not as bad (4-5 lbs./week) as before (10 lbs./week). I finally got it back to the tire dealer this week for another attempt. This time they took some time and discovered there is point on the bead of the tire which is suspect. Regardless of the position of the tire on the rim, there is a tiny leak at the same point of the tire bead. Liberal application of bead sealant failed to stem the leak. Their conclusion was there was a manufacturing defect in the bead.

Although I had bought the trailer over a year ago in March (so my warrantee with the dealer has expired), I called the dealer, mainly to find out who manufactured the Tacoma tire and where I could go to find about a tire warrantee (if available). To my surprise and pleasure, the dealer acknowledged the problem and despite being slightly past my warrantee period, they ordered a new tire for me (at no charge). It will be here in 10 days. All of this was done over the phone without them ever seeing the tire.

I had expected this to be a long and painful finger pointing exercise, but it wasn't. Which is why I wanted to share it. Customer service really does happen and the result is happy customers - what a concept!

Carl (and Susan) Youngren

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote