View Single Post
Old 03-10-2011, 05:37 AM   #10
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
ANYONE who says they don't have a problem when the winds are high, haven't experienced high enough winds. Strong winds do not mix with RVs. When winds get to about 50mph I know I am reduced to about 25-30 mph because you feel like you're gonna lose it any minute. This is not a comfortable feeling. We have not been in any stronger winds than that but if I am, we ain't going anywhere!

A former brother-in law, formerly from New Jersey was still trying to get used to high winds in Southern California. He worked for an Aerospace company's on the swing shift and commuted a long distance to do so. One night while making his usual drive home he was on a section of highway with three lanes going either direction and a HUGE center space divided (probably 100 ft) and the winds were terribly strong - the kind where RVs and trucks are "asked" to stay off the road. He was almost home, when he saw the trailer part on a semi truck on the oncoming lanes get lifted clean off its Semi tow vehicle and then this trailer tumbled lengthwise across his lanes of traffic until it dropped down into the lower ditches to its final resting spot. It amazed him so much he couldn't help but talk to everyone for weeks about the hazards of high profile vehicles in strong winds. The way this trailer tumbled he estimated it was empty, but isn't that what an RV is - a mostly empty high profile box?

I know I'm a believer. I can't imagine with the tornados in the mid west and hurricanes in the southeast that more damage is done that this isn't so much worse than we are shown. Winds can be absolutely hazardous. Coupled with a hitch that isn't maintained and torqued down correctly or a hitch that fails, don't mess with nature or it will mess you up.

I hope everyone is okay. This is a scary reality.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote