View Single Post
Old 09-29-2021, 05:34 AM   #49
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam Worker View Post
I will throw this out there because it happened to me with a long bed Ford pickup. Older style fiver with the fifth wheel hitch not extended way out to the front but straight down. Was in North-bend Washington off I 90. The paved road went down a hill and then steeply up a hill. Needlessly to say my fifth wheel made contact with the truck roof. That was an 8’ bed. My guess is that with all the extended kingpins this probably won’t happen but the potential is there as the front of the fivers is the longest point, not the recessed sides. Just saying to think of angles verse turning radius’s.
Thank you for sharing your story. That illustrates that even 8' beds aren't totally exempt from crashing. I think most people are under the impression, myself included, that an 8' bed was 100% insurance. I can't even imagine a road that would cause the 5er to contact the roof, even without an extended pin!

You are right about angles. When I mentioned doing testing on a flat surface, that was to find the MAXIMUM. Throw any angle in there, like turning into a parking lot with a steep drive, and that maximum just got a whole lot less really quickly...