View Single Post
Old 09-20-2021, 07:41 AM   #6
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
You can jackknife any combination if you turn tight enough. You can certainly jackknife a short bed easier. You can get by with a non slider in a short bed IF and that is a BIG IF you are extremely diligent in your maneuvering. You should be extremely diligent in maneuvering any combination. The best way to lessen your chances of jacking a short bed is an auto slider. If you get a manual slider there will be times that you think you should use it but either you’ll be too lazy or perhaps it’s raining, or sometimes you may find that it won’t slide due to being in a bind due to angle between truck and trailer. Better to make several stabs at backing in rather than make anywhere close to a 90* turn, which puts extreme stress on your trailer suspension, tires, and frame. I suspect that many of the suspension and tire failures you read about here have been initiated by over stressing them in backing maneuvers. I had a short bed with a manual slider for about 15 years and have now had an Andersen for 3 years. While I am EXTREMELY DILIGENT in my maneuvers, I know I am just one distracted moment away from an expensive repair. What level of risk you are comfortable with should drive your decision.