Thread: Hitch Question
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2022, 09:30 AM   #18
ForBruce
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26644
Here's new new angle

I use a short bed ford pickup with a 20K super glide hitch.
(pulling a 16k Montana High country )

The hitch will automatically slide back about 14" when making a turn. Thus clearing my tailgate (in closed position) from the front of the camper and also clearing the truck's back window from the camper body.

I believe your hitch is a manual slider--which can be trouble if you forget to slide and try turning--not to mention people behind you getting annoyed at waiting.

NOTE: I have tried and i am able to JACK KNIFE the truck and trailer with no problems and swing in a complete circle. (camper tires are not happy doing this-so 70 degree turns are better than 90's)

One hitch disconnect advantage with the Pullright super glide Hitch is that you can disconnect at a 90 degree angle by removing the two pins that let the hitch rock (forward and back) and then lifting the trailer up; keeping the hitch still locked on . (great for tight state park sites)

You then pull the truck away and with the help of another person pull the disconnect while the other person holds / catches the top portion. (about 50 lbs)

One disadvantage of the super glide is that you need to install a CAPTURE PLATE on the trailer before using the hitch. This plate has a square plate attached that will not let the PIN in the pin box rotate on the hitch. It locks both together securely and forces the entire hitch itself to rotate with any turning motion.

TIRES you never mentioned whether the truck is a dully or not. Most tires have a rating of 3640 max weight each (tires are the weakest link)

that give you a total capacity of 7,280 weigh on the rear . (truck and pin weight)
Yokohoma Geolander tires have a weight rating of 4080 each for a total of 8,160 lbs. Thus the Yokohama increases pin capacity by 880 lbs. This might be of interest if you are using only single rear wheel drive.

any question be happy to
917-685-8902
ForBruce is offline   Reply With Quote