Thread: Sad Day
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2023, 10:10 AM   #18
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
On demand hot water

Hey Dutchman,
Thanks for the kind words. We are happy with it.
WRT the on demand I am mixed. guess it depends on how I am using it. Here are the

1. probably uses less gas than a tanked heater running on gas since it only heats the water when you need it vice trying to keep the tanked water hot all the time.
2. I can have hot water available quickly during rest area stops, or immediately upon arrival at a site without having to heat the water in the tank first.
3. no more anode to use up/replace/ keep track of while winterized.

DISLIKES:
1. does not have the ability to run on electric so if I am at a "campground" with W/E I can not heat my water using the CG electricity.
2. if DRY Camping it wates alot of water before you get hot water to the faucet. A work around is to use a bucket/pot to collect the water instead of sending it to the holding tank and use that water elsewhere in the rig (flush toilet with it, fill dog water dish, use for cooking pasta, etc.)
3. Lack of flexibility in power sources/single point of failure. I have installed MOPEKA propane tank monitors to give me better awareness of my onboard propane levels. That said, in 46 days of camping (minimal use of heater but did use stove and oven - fridge is DC only) (3 days dry camp at a HIPCAMP) we used up 90% of a 30gal tank. Last weekend we camped for 4 days and it was cold and went through 1/2 a tank on that trip alone.
4. bit more complicated to winterize (I will know better after this weekend's final campout) If you do it wrong you will rupture the internal mixing bowl. Definitely need to blow the system out and it is okay and probably prudent to fill the water heater with anti-freeze.

Bottom line - I dont hate it but it does not make my greatest thing since sliced bread list either.
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote