View Single Post
Old 07-23-2006, 04:10 PM   #121
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
Many of the Montana's - essentially all of the larger models - have been designed with a considerable amount of trailer and load behind the axles. This was clearly to transfer load "off" of the pin to enable 3/4 and 1 tons to be able to support the pin weight. Per Montana's 2006 brochures, the 3600RL pin weight is 15.6%, the 3500RL is 15.9%, the 3400RL is 16.9%, and your 05 3475 was 19.9%. If numbers in this range are good enough for Montana and Lippert, they are good enough for me!

As the Chevy truck brochure clearly states, as well as many other written materials on the subject, 5th wheel trailers should maintain at least 15% of its load on the pin to maintain adequate stability.

The stability of the trailer is based upon weight, not what makes up that weight - pots and pans, water, or whatever - including lead.

I've read it, heard it, tested it, etc. many times. There are a lot of 1 ton TV's out there that are overloaded - just like a lot of 3/4 tons. And its because too many drivers don't understand or don't care. It's been said many times, "load the heavy cargo low and as close to the axles as possible. Load lighter cargo higher and further away from the axles". This is what improves stability!

And by the way, all the holes I drilled in the frame, I also filled with bolts of harder material. So I must be OK there also.

And don't forget, it was you who referred to towing a trailer (which is significantly different than a MC carrier) as a kludge. I differ in my opinion on that issue also.
rickfox is offline   Reply With Quote