View Single Post
Old 03-22-2013, 04:49 AM   #7
Gkerlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12221
You know that's a loaded question and really no "Right" answer...

I think that Bingo is on the right track but it really depends on how much boondocking and when you plan on doing it thats important.

If realistically you're not going to be doing for long stretches it for a year or so then I wouldn't invest in a large bank of 6v batteries now. Do it when you fully engineer the system that you want and plan on adding the other components (solar or whatever) to create a true long term boondock capable rig.

No sense putting in a large bank of batteries right now that you might not need or don't have the capability of properly charging except by going to an RV park. You would just prematurely wear them out and cost yourself more money in the long run.

If your battery is only a year or so old and has been on a charger properly maintained and not discharged a lot then it's likely still in good shape - If money is an issue I'd just get another 12v for now (they are cheap enough) throw it in parallel and be done with it. If you are not sure then get a pair.

Sounds like for now you are only looking for a couple of nights and if you aren't running heat and drawing a lot of other power you should be fine with 2 12v to start. We boon docked for a long time with 2-12v batteries - usually at least a week at a clip. They are cheaper and easy to acquire. Get fancy when you really know what you want but keep it simple till then.

You need to determine the condition of the existing 12v battery. If its in good shape then no harm keeping it. If its not then you do want to invest in a pair. If you don't know how to test it a reputable battery or auto shop could do it.

Get your feet wet doing some boondocking and see if you like it before spending too much. If you do and want to go for longer stretches then its time to start researching how you want to equip your rig to do it.

When the time comes for setting it up for long term boon docking (by that I mean at least week or longer off grid done frequently) then you need to invest in good batteries that will handle lots of discharge recharge cycles and the system to properly recharge them.

JMHO Hope it helps you decide.
Gkerlin is offline   Reply With Quote