View Single Post
Old 05-07-2020, 11:28 AM   #43
SteveandTerri
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22227
Reducing Shock to my Rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenclme View Post
So I plan to take my 2017 3820FK on the road when we retire in 2 years. I have not had too many issues thus far and no frame flex. Worst problem was the collapsed AC ducts which once I knew how to fix, was a piece of cake. So here's the question - Does the Morryde independent suspension reduce the shocks on the trailer and hopefully go from a 7.0 earthquake to a 3.0? Will a suspension upgrade prolong the life of the RV? Thanks in advance
We did 3 things to reduce the energy that could be transmitted to our 5er due to rough roads: (a) replaced the Pin Box with an AirRide box, (b) installed air bags on the truck (so the rear suspension compresses no more than about 1/3 of its range of travel when the 5er is hitched up), and (c) replaced the 305RL's leaf-spring suspension with IS.

The benefits: (a) the AirRide box absorbs some of the shock/energy/motion transmitted by the truck, (b) having the truck suspension ride in the upper part of its range of travel allows it to absorb larger bumps without bottoming-out, and (c) the IS has a greater range of travel than the spindly, lame leaf-spring suspension that came with the 5er.... and it's a whole lot stronger and stable.

We went cross-country and put 8,000 miles on the rig last year with no issues... Keeping our fingers crossed....
SteveandTerri is offline   Reply With Quote