View Single Post
Old 03-25-2013, 10:30 AM   #4
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by LonnieB

Unfortunately, this stuff does happen, and it gives a bad name to those of us who strive to do things with honesty and integrity.

Not trying to defend the shop where the work was done (or not done), but they can't take their used oil and filters to anyone for free disposal, they have to pay for the used stuff to be picked up and disposed of by a reclamation/disposal company. It is the same with junk tires, we have to pay a professional service to pick them up and dispose/recycle them.
The problem though is adding it on as an extra instead of writing it into the cost of the job. It's like adding on a charge for heating and lighting the building, and is similar to the airlines charging for baggage - even carry ons. I still do my own oil changes, but if I didn't and they tried to add that charge to me, I'd ask for the old oil and filter back and take it to one of many parts stores who take them for free.

BTW: I'm sure you're right about tires and filters, but I believe they sell the used oil as it is reprocessed and resold.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote