View Single Post
Old 11-07-2012, 03:47 AM   #6
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I had a long typed response to this, but stupidly copied this link to back up my information.

What I am about to show you, I presented as part of a security brief about identity theft.

Now THIS IS IMPORTANT. If you go to this link. DO NOT provide your credit card information. To my knowledge it will only verify you card number, but why take chances.

Look at the next block of items that states, "Generate a credit card." Choose a bank from the 100+/- that are listed and click on a credit card. The web site will generate a credit card number where the algorithm is correct for the bank selected.

Now, here is the kicker. When I was attending an FBI seminar on Identity Theft back in the late 90's, this web site was as it is today. The instructor generated a cc number using this web site. Then, having the ability to do a national search he looked through their extensive data base to see if there was a person associated with this generated cc number.

He found a gentleman in Ohio that this cc number belonged to.

Lesson, not only stolen, or scanned cc's can be used by crooks, but any program that can generate an algorithm acceptable by businesses cc processors.

Smash the chip, or place it in a protective holder. Even aluminum foil will work. Many banks provide protective sleeves if you prefer to continue using the proximity scanners.

This link is for information purposes only.

DISCARD
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote