Thread: The Ride Bell
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2011, 08:48 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
The Ride Bell

Ride Bell
We love it here in the Desert, the Lake Havasu area is awesome, the bare grey mountains are so rugged and beautiful, the view changes hundreds of times a day, with the shadows and clouds playing with the lighting.
It is hard for me to keep my eyes on the road as we travel around the many interesting places here. It takes a long time for us to get someplace, as I pull over often and we get out to walk around and soak all of it in.
Yesterday we drove 30 or so miles to the north, near the beautiful Colorado river, we headed into those rugged mountains on the old Route 66 even farther, a narrow twisting road, so much so, that they discourage trailers as the old road wasn’t built to accommodate the length. There are no bridges over washes, the road dips into them, then winds around hills and rock formations. We passed many old Gold mines that have long since been sealed up, some just have fences around the shafts, some are open and dangerous.
I can see that this area is a motorcycle riders dream, the road and the scenery it takes you through is varied, and so interesting and awe inspiring.
We stopped at a roadside area that was high in the mountain, a narrow trail off of the road, the trail led up to a small unmarked outlook, flat on it’s top that overlooked a valley. What we found up there was touching. There were 6 or 7 crosses scattered around, and one display with a eulogy and a man’s picture sealed in plastic against the weather:
Cast my ashes to the wind, and think of me young again, somewhere where my brothers ride, and know that I’m by your side, looking down from up above, watching over you with all my love, so hop on that ole’ school ride and follow me, I’ll be your guide.
In loving memory, Ron Peacock 7/09/1940 to 3/27/2006
I would guess that there were many ashes spread into the wind from that secluded outlook. A very special place.
Ron’s Ride Bell was hanging from the display, weathered but still making music.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote