View Single Post
Old 07-17-2022, 03:07 PM   #13
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRollman View Post
I have a ~2019 3791RD Fifth Wheel, bought new about 2.5 years ago. It was purchased from Camping World in Spartanburg SC, and I had it towed to Jackson SC (about 3 hours away), where it has remained in the same place ever since. (I'm a full timer.)

About a month or two ago, the door required a bit more "persuasion" than usual to close, to the point recently of needing to be slammed two or three times to get it to latch and the deadbolt to close. Yesterday, after a round of slamming, I got it locked. When I went to open it, the deadbolt lever spun freely. Fortunately, I was inside and able to take apart the mechanism and get out. I can probably get the hardware to work properly - there's a "]" shaped piece of metal that came out, this is the piece that attaches the lever to the deadbolt.

My bigger question is why is the door giving me problems? Here's what I can tell.

I re-leveled the RV yesterday. Completely retracted the legs and auto-leveled. That seemed to help - some. It did not completely solve the issue. I still have to slam.

There are scrape marks on the strike plate, and associated scrape marks on the latch side.

(Disregard electrical tape holding the deadbolt in - don-t want to get stuck locked out)

It looks like the upper left corner (as viewed from outside) of the door is hitting the frame.

And I can see daylight at the upper right corner (as viewed from outside, but daylight is seen from inside obviously) when the door is closed. No pic for this one.

It almost seems that the door frame is skewed a little bit. But I have no idea how that would have happened, and there is no other evidence of it (body panels wrinkling, etc.).

Thoughts?
Triple check level at the door. Use a spray lube to make sure the lock is free and the closing latch mechanism can slide into position easily. That is all I had to do to fix my slammer.
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is offline   Reply With Quote