View Single Post
Old 01-21-2020, 04:30 PM   #24
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsout View Post
It needs to be stressed that if you switch to Lithium you need to to also include thermal management, where as temps above 86f are not good for Lithium batteries as well as temps below 32f. For many of us that have batteries stored in external compartments in our 5er you need to add cooling or heating to that area to create that thermal management.

The good news is you can relocate your batteries to the interior of the RV where ambient temps can be managed.

Lithium while a great option (except for cost) can be very short lived if thermal management is not considered. an exterior compartment in 85 degree weather can exceed 120F which will likely damage Lithium batteries.

My point is swapping to Lithium is not as simple as replacing battery for battery.

All of which begs the question - why would someone with a 5er want to use lithium batteries. Even here in Upstate NY our temps swing between negative numbers to close to triple digits.

As far as inside storage - none of the several 5ers or TTs I've owned haven't and now don't have living area temperature controlled space without sacrificing significant storage for necessities - and we travel light compared to most. Lithium are batteries also not needed for solar power as we had a small, 800 watt system on our last 5er with 2xFLA batteries that worked just fine

As said above, FLA or AGM batteries will work just fine for our needs. I don't feel the need to shell out a couple thousand bucks or more when tried and well proven technology worked for over a hundred years. If we had a mid 6 figure motor home, were full or long timers, then maybe I'd bite that box of bullets. The finaces and fragility just aren't there for me. Others - their choice
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote